Marc Forster set to direct live-action Winnie the Pooh film titled, 'Christopher Robin'

Image from Ask Men
By Darian Scalamoni
            Winnie the Pooh is one of my favorite properties in fiction so when I heard that Disney was going to be adding it to its upcoming live-action slate, I was worried. After all the success they’ve had recently though with properties like Cinderella and The Jungle Book, I have to stay optimistic. According to THR, that movie has now found a director as Marc Forster (World War Z, Quantum of Solace) has signed on to helm the live-action Winnie the Pooh film now being titled simply, Christopher Robin.

            Interestingly enough, this incarnation seems to be one that is very different and I don’t know how I feel about it yet. The story is set to center on Christopher Robin but as an adult. He has now grown out of his exuberant imagination he had when he was younger and is now a businessman who prioritizes work over his relationship with his wife and daughter. With his life at home in frenzy, Pooh returns to ask for his help to find his friends. Robin then needs to find a way to help both sides.

            This is a much different project than I could’ve imagined and I don’t know if I can get behind it fully but I’m going to hope that it turns out okay. Forster is an interesting choice to direct too. He’s had experience with different kinds of blockbusters in the past with World War Z and Quantum of Solace which was in the James Bond franchise, but he does have great experience with the fantastical as he was nominated for a Golden Globe for directing Finding Neverland back in 2004, but again, that was twelve years ago. Not only that, but Alex Ross Perry is writing the script and he’s only really done dramas and thrillers so uplifting can this story be.


            Having said that, I hope they can prove me wrong and Christopher Robin won’t be the movie that breaks Disney’s current live-action winning streak.

Comments