First trailer for 'City of Lies' has Johnny Depp and Forest Whitaker investigating the murders of Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur

Image from Coming Soon
By Darian Scalamoni

            It seems that covering the deaths of historic rappers, Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur is a current idea that Hollywood is running with. We saw the USA Network limited series, Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G. earlier this year. Now, it seems that the crime/thriller, City of Lies, originally titled LAbyrinth will cover the same and you can make your opinion based on the trailer below.

            The movie follows Russell Poole, a retired LAPD detective who investigates the murders of Biggie and Tupac. He’s joined on the case by Jackson, a journalist who teams up with Poole two decades later still hunting for their killers. The film is based on a true story.

            When the movie was first announced, especially with Johnny Depp and Forest Whitaker cast, I was excited but after seeing this preview, I have to say I’m a bit worried. The trailer didn’t grab me at all and I think that Depp leading this film could potentially hurt it rather than help it. The movie is directed by Brad Furman, who previously helmed The Lincoln Lawyer and The Infiltrator.

            Look below to watch the trailer for City of Lies! The film will be released on September 7th and stars Johnny Depp, Forest Whitaker, Shea Whigham, Dayton Callie and Neil Brown Jr.

Comments