'Orange is the New Black' Season 4 Review (NO SPOILERS)

Image from Master Herald
By Diego Coya
Orange is the New Black is back with its fourth season, and it has never been more dramatically effective. Picking off right after the season finale of season 3, Litchfield gets a new staff of Correctional Officers and we learn more about the background of the inmates. Additionally, there are tons of more inmates; the most notable is Judy King who is a celebrity. There are tons of story arcs that intertwine with each other, but the comedy is less present. Season 4 is by far the darkest season.

Even though I thought season 3 was a disappointment, I was looking forward to season 4 because there was a cliffhanger right after Season 3. After binge watching the whole season in three days, I can overall say that this might be the best season yet. I must admit that this was not my initial reaction, as I was watching the first half of the season I was not impressed. This is due to the fact that this season is vastly different than the previous three, not only in terms of its dark tone but the change in its characters.

            I blame my initial reaction due to the expectations that I had; I expected a season with the perfect blend of comedy and drama. I do feel that the first half is a little weak when compared to the second half. The first half focuses on Piper Chapman and her panty business. This leads her to have the idea that she is intimidating and tough, which to in an extent caused her to be somewhat unlikeable. Additionally, I found her story not nearly as investing as the other inmates. Because of this, I kind of struggled getting into it.

            After episode six, something happens which makes the season do a 180 and become truly fantastic. The performances from the ensemble cast have never been better. It also tackles themes such as social and racial issues. The inmates all go through something horrendous in their lives and the audience is able to see them battle their own demons. The new characters are also great. Judy King is someone who comes across as someone who is compassionate and caring, but as we learn more about her character we realize that she has some secrets of her own.

 The Correction Officers are led by Desi Piscatella, and we see a huge change in the lives of the inmates because of the new staff. The Correction Officers in this season are deplorable and despicable human beings; the actors genuinely made me hate them. Even though the previous correctional officers were tough, at the end of the day they had a heart and they cared for their job. These new correction officers are awful people who make the inmates go through hell.

            There is so emotion, and the last two episodes will for sure be upsetting for fans of the show. As stated before, the first five episodes are a little hard to get into, but once you see the payoff, it truly is amazing. This might be my favorite season, and fans of the show will for sure be pleased.  Season 4 left viewers on a huge cliffhanger as well, and I am eager for Season 5.


8.8/10 

Comments