'Master of None' Season 2 Review

Image from NME
By Diego Coya

            The long awaited second season to the critically acclaimed Netflix series Master of None is finally here. After the cliffhanger of the finale of Season 1, audiences were wondering what was going to happen next and what would be the ultimate fate of the characters. The setting of Season 2 is three months after the finale of the first season, and Dev, played by Aziz Ansari, moves to Italy temporarily to learn how to cook Italian food. This new season explores more of his personal and professional life, and some of the cast from the first season return, such as Eric Wareheim, Lena Waithe, Shoukath Ansari, and Fatima Ansari.

            The season also focuses on Dev trying to find a connection with someone after his break up in Season 1. As the season progresses, he meets someone who he eventually falls for, but what’s standing in his way is the fact that she is engaged to another man. In terms of the plot, this is all I will say since the season has plenty of themes that are relevant to society. As someone who was a huge fan of the first season, I was incredibly excited to see the second season. After binge watching season 2 in a span of two days, I can easily say that it met my expectations.

            Aziz Ansari created a series that is truly wonderful. Not only is it consistently hilarious, but it tackles thought provoking themes such as racism, adulthood, finding your true self, how the elderly is treated, and a plethora of other social commentary. Ansari does not convey these themes in a patronizing way, but rather a way that is clever. The performances in this show are also terrific. Ansari is so charismatic and hilarious; he nails the role just like he did in the first season. Eric Wareheim, who plays Arthur (my favorite character), is absolutely fantastic in this series. He often gives advice to Dev and provides so much humor that works so well. Dev’s parents, who are played by Ansari’s real parents, also shine in the series. The chemistry and conversations feel so natural, and the fact that Aziz Ansari’s character Dev and his parents are in fact parents and son in real life benefits this greatly.

            I also really enjoyed the new characters in the show, such as Chef Jeff, played by Bobby Cannavale. He was hysterical and he delivered some great scenes. Another standout in the show is Alessandra Mastronardi, who plays Francesca. She is an Italian woman that Dev meets in Italy, and she becomes a major character as the season progresses; that is all I will say. The performances really elevate greatness to the show. What also really helps is the amazing writing and great direction.

            The main reason why I loved both of these seasons is because I actually found it be relatable. Every time Ansari goes through something and has conversations with his friends, I felt like I have been through the same thing he was going through. I connected with some aspects of the show, which unfortunately I cannot get into because of spoilers. As far as flaws go, I can see people having a problem with the way this season concludes. Without giving any spoilers, I can say that the ending is left for interpretation, and some people might find it to be a “cop out” ending. Another aspect I can say is that there were some characters that I wished I saw more of, it’s not necessarily a flaw; it’s just something I wish I saw.

            Overall, Master of None Season 2 is an improvement over the first season. It’s hilarious, thought provoking, charming, and wonderful. It’s a series that I would highly recommend to everyone, because it’s honestly a feel good type show. I’m not sure if Season 3 is in development, but I’m really hoping it is because Aziz Ansari has proven to be a talent that is special.


9.5/10

Comments